Tuesday, February 2, 2010

5 to 10 Minute Life Drawings

After the 1 and 2 minute poses the time for each pose jumps to 5 and 10 minutes each. While the poses are still difficult for the model they are a little easier to hold than the short times. These poses make up the bulk of each session.

I had worked mostly in charcoal but was introduced to water soluble graphite during a workshop last fall given by Suzanne Northcott, http://www.suzannenorthcott.ca/NewWork.htm# I find the graphite stick to be big and solid in my hand. It is easily manipulated to create soft and hard lines. With water it creates a wash. It doesn't smudge like charcoal. Now, I usually work with either the graphite or charcaol in my right hand and schminke white pastel in the left. This way I can create the dark and darker midrange values with the charcoal/graphite and the lightest value with the Schminke while the newsprint becomes the lighter midrange.

No comments:

Post a Comment